Sunday, January 9, 2011

Freak Rockfall

These aren't particularly fantastic photos, but this incident was so strange that it must be told.

We had an amazingly clear day in mid-December after many days of rain and fog.  The sport climbing was awesome! Photo by Christina.

Our audience 

 Scram enjoying sunshine and good limestone.


After a great 1/2 day of climbing, I was on top of the world.  I couldn't stop jabbering about the sun, the rock, and how our house is only 3 miles away.  I stopped mid-sentence when my car came into view.

At first we thought someone had tried to break in, but all the doors were locked.
Then we finally saw the culprit.  This rock laying next to the driver seat must have plummeted from the cliffs above and shacked the center of my sunroof.  It hit the center console between the seats and then landed directly on my seat, leaving a deep gash in the leather.


This is the interior sunroof slider.  I didn't know it before, but this thing is made of a solid piece of metal. The rock left a 3-inch deep indentation as it broke through.

It's funny...when I first pulled up to this parking spot, I said out loud, "I think I'll back the car up a bit so we don't get hit by rocks."  I guess I picked the wrong spot.

No comments: